Case Study

Designing a brand and analytics dashboard for a wearable tech product

Brand creation and logo design with styleguide

Prototype and UI design for analytical dashboard

UX research on standardising of base design

About the project

Preventure’s mission is to preventing workplace injuries using Sports Science technology.

They apply the same technology found in high-end wearables on professional sports fields to a person doing physical work. Their devices keep track of body technique and movement and provide feedback in order to reduce injury risk and improve overall safety. 

I was brought in to create a new brand and devise a way to visually articulate the data being delivered from the devices in a clear and meaningful way to their customers.

I began the project by exploring and representing the brand in a better way. Long conversations with the people behind the product helped me to understand their brand vision. We also went into depth on how they present themselves to potential customers. 

Using a custom brand building process I’ve worked with over the years, I began by building out their brand blueprint. This addressed topics like identifying their hierarchy of value propositions, their brand values, tone of voice and their brand archetype.

I combined all this with a bit of historical research to create the Preventure Canary. Just like the bird that was used in the mines to be a warning of dangers ahead so too are their wearable devices.

In order to keep everyone on the same brand path I create a one page Storybrand script: A character, with a problem, meets a guide who understands their fear, and gives them a plan, that calls them to action, to achieve success and avoid failure.

This was all then distilled into a style guide that would help inform the future design system I would need for the analytics platform.

For the next stage of designing and building an analytics dashboard we didn’t have the capacity to conduct robust UX workshops. Due to budget constraints i fell back on the principal of desperation: “If all else fails, standardise!” 

What this meant in this situation was to pull apart some of the leading analytics dashboards and study the UX to see what we could learn and appropriate. 

But to take this to another level, I compared these platforms to some of the software already in use by the client industries. These were basic programs they used everyday such as email, websites and productivity software.

The intended users were already so familiar with these programs that there was opportunity to learn from that and increase the speed of adoption by reducing potential friction.  

At this point I had a good idea of patterns and processes which would give a familiar base structure to the design of the first version of the software.

The rest of the design process was done systematically beginning with understanding user journeys and wireframes. It was followed with multiple rounds of designs created in XD showing examples of all the interactions and stylesheets. This was then passed off to the developers to build.

As the developers built the platform I was on hand to provide feedback, corrections and guidance as necessary.



The result was a successful product launch on time and on budget. I had presented and delivered an overall brand solution to meet the target audience.

The design aesthetic had to be an equal blend of modern and friendly. This gave it the impression of quality and high-tech but alleviated any fears it would be complex.

The strategy gave us a good base to build upon and the developers created a robust platform that worked well.

View the designs here

deliver more
than expected.